Sunday, July 31, 2016

Paranatural: Why it is awesome and you should definitely read it



 *Waves Hello to the people and kittens, but not the ominous clouds looming overhead, they don't get a friendly wave*

It's summer vacation now, and that means that basically I have a lot of time to attempt to be productive, but mostly end up flopping around and doing decidedly unproductive things,

One of the things I did was bingeread the entire Paranatural (which is fabulous, more on that below) which is the event that inspired this post.

I was actually going to make this post my top three webcomics (I read them a lot, they are such fun!) but I ended up raving so long about Paranatural I decided to make the whole post about it because it DESERVES A WHOLE FULL POST!

Now I’m sure you must be thinking
Crystal, I am so lost! What in the skies is a webcomic?!
Well well well precious reader, get your learning caps on because i'm about to tell you.

Webcomics are basically comics (Bet you couldn't guess!) that instead of a book are uploaded online. The artist tells the story in a series of updates that continue until the comic is done.

Make sense?
Basically a webcomic is an online comic.
Capicse? Good.

NOW FOR THE FUN!

It is appropriate for humans of all ages which is awesome because you can make all the little children in your life read it and not have to hide it from their little prying eyes.

Note: I will not put pictures from the actual comic in this post in respect for the artist/author's intellectual property.


Summary:
"Paranatural is a comedy/action comic about a group of superpowered middle schoolers fighting evil spirits and investigating paranormal activity in their hometown."    Source

This is actually my favorite webcomic, for many many (many) reasons. As I already mentioned before I bingeread all of this in a few days and now I am stuck waiting for updates for new pages which is NOT OKAY! What do you mean the artist has other things to do with his life?! Surely his sole purpose is to provide me with more pages (leave me in my delusions)

Reasons it is fabulous

-It is HILARIOUS! I read it and literally laugh out loud (not the lame kind of lol that people text you when you know they probably have the facial expression of a stone blobfish!). And then people stare at me and demand to know what is so funny but the precious is mine! All mine!

So sad, so sad.

-My sisters (small gremlins that they are) rave about it constantly and harass me to check updates for them. They made me read it, now I love it, chase them, it is their faults!

- The alt texts Zack Morrison writes for each page are priceless, along with the comments he sometimes writes along the bottom. They are half of the experience. DO NOT SKIP THEM (you have been warned)!

- There is quite a few (read: a lot) of pages to catch up on already so you have quite a lot of binge material before you have to be sad waiting for updates like me (sobs quietly).

-The Puns. THE PUNS! (read: THE PUNS!!!)

-The witty dialogue with perfect sassy replies at all times and impromptu pun warfare are perfection (if only REAL life dialogue worked that way)

-The art is fabulous, all the facial expressions are precious and hilarious and so wonderful and make me LAUGH SO HARD! And as someone who attempts drawing-ish stuff when I’m not doing the 50000 OTHER things I get myself into, I know how hard those BLASTED BACKGROUNDS ARE. And I clap at the skill. Tea and cookies for you Zack Morrison, tea and cookies for you (unless you don’t like tea and cookies, then you can have coffee and crumpets I suppose).

- Max’s Dad is wonderful. Enough said. He is parenting goals…probably not really. (read: gives his kid candy for lunch and bought a convenience store to live in because it was his dream)

- Even though it is silly and comic (pun ABSOLUTELY intended), the characters are all deliciously complex, with backstories and private struggles and the whole gambit, and we get little morsels into their own secret thought minds, which is great fun and gets story points.

- It also has little serious parts that keep it from being nauseatingly light and gives it nice depth.



Do you read Paranatural? Will you give it a try? Do you read any other webcomics, I’d love some recommendations, I’m always looking for more to waste spend time on. Let me know down below.


No comments:

Post a Comment